Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Friends

Friends are important in anyone's life. I have been blessed beyond measures with great, wonderful friends. Some have been around forever. Some were here then left & now thanks to facebook, have returned. Some where in my life, then left, because what I apparently thought was a friend was not. According to the dictionary the definition of friend is a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.

I had a friend in elementary & jr. high school that was like a sister. Her mom & my mom were best friends. They talked everyday, therefore, we became best friends. We did everything together. If I wasn't at her house, she was at mine or we were at someone else's, but still together. We went to my grandparent's house together on several occasions & I went with her on errands & even once to her father's work. I lived with them when my mother became sick & my dad had to take care of her & get her to & from doctor's appointments & the hospital. Though it was a different time in my life, it was a wonderful experience to 'live' with my best friend. Who gets to move in with their best friend when you are fourteen/fifteen? These people took me in like I was another daughter. They treated me just like I was theirs & had always been there. My best friend's mother tucked me in at night, took me shopping, made sure I had everything I needed to function for school, church, cheer, etc. She was my second mother. We lost touch over the years. I took the popular road in the late teenage years & her, well, she took the road less traveled. She did the right thing. We lost touch, but just in the past year have found each other again & I have to say, it's like she never left. When we first connected there were long phone conversations, there were lots of emails with questions & explanations on how we have ended up where we are today. She knows that bad & the good in me & she still loves me. That's a true friend, not just a passing one. I think we are all caught up now, but I am looking forward to the day when I can actually see her again. Everytime we have something planned, life throws a curve & it gets put off. One day we will get there. Friendship is something to be cherished, so if you have that friend that knows all about you & still loves you, cherish her/him. They are rare.

1 comment: